Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Product Placement Wednesday - DKMS Bone Marrow Donor Center

Unfortunately we have all lost loved ones for a variety of reasons. I am sure most of you would have been willing to do anything to stop that from happening. This week's "product" will help you do just that for your extended friends and family.

A woman I have never met, but a fellow employee at my company, is in desperate need of a bone marrow donation. Matching bone marrow is a very tricky thing - basically a needle in a haystack. In order to up the odds of helping her and in turn others, my company is holding a bone marrow drive. While I am going to miss participating in the drive itself, the idea that something I have in abundance can save someone's life led me directly to the website to sign up online.

By registering with the DKMS Bone Marrow Donor Center, you have the potential to give the gift of life to another person. It does not cost you anything at any point in the process other a bit of your time if you are a match. In the grand scheme of life, giving up a little time to give someone else A LOT of time is completely worth it.

Registering is so easy - dare I say it's idiot proof? You barely have to get off your couch!

1. Click here to register online.
2. Once the packet arrives, swab the inside of your cheek.
3. Put the swab in the self-addressed, stamped envelope and toss it in the mail.
4. Save a life.

I encourage you to check out some of the stories on the website including how this organization was founded if you need further motivation to register.

Once you register to be a bone marrow donor, I challenge you to inspire others to register as well. Ways you can help spread the word include:

  • Reposting this blog link or the direct link to DKMS on Facebook or Twitter.
  • Forwarding either link via email.
  • Spreading the word the old-fashioned way - verbally.
  • Hosting your own bone marrow drive.

I would love to hear from those of you that register and how you chose to help spread the word! As always, feel free to post in the comments section (regardless if you are registered), on Facebook or by sending me a personal message. I hope that many of you will join me in this important opportunity to save lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment