A couple of weeks ago, dinner for our weekly viewing of The Bachelorette had a theme that many of you are probably familiar with - leftovers! Amie and I both surveyed our kitchens and ended up with an amazing meal that required only the purchase of crackers.
Stuffed Yellow Squash
1 large yellow squash
1/4 tomato, diced
1/4 red onion
8 oz ground beef (we used the frozen Kobe burger from Trader Joe's but you can use any you like)
1/4 cup feta cheese (light or fat free is fine)
1. Cut yellow squash in half and hollow out each side. Discard inside of squash or save for another recipe.
2. Cook ground beef as desired. We were using a burger patty that had been cooked the day before so the only prep was to crumble.
3. Caramelize the onion using butter in a skillet.
4. Combine ground beef, tomato, and caramelized onion.
5. Stuff squash with beef and vegetable mixture.
6. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
7. Warm through in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
The stuffed squash could easily be made vegetarian by substituting a vegetable protein or even just additional vegetables.
Orzo and Vegetable Salad with Lemon Yogurt Vinaigrette
Please Note: Measurements are approximate.
1 cup orzo
1/3 cup carrots, diced
1/3 cup asparagus, chopped
1/3 cup green beans, chopped
1/3 cup English peas
1/8 cup pistachios, shelled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
herbs de provence
1/2 lemon, juice only
2 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. Prepare orzo according to package instructions.
2. Blanch carrots, asparagus, green beans & peas.
3. To make vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, yogurt, and herbs de provence. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Combine orzo, vegetables, pistachios, and vinaigrette.
Serves A LOT. Can be kept refrigerated for several days.
We enjoyed our meal with an appetizer plate of leftover salami, sausage and cheese from Trader Joe's. This was accompanied by gherkins and Rosemary Raisin crackers also from Trader Joe's.