A couple weeks ago Katie and I decided to throw some dinner together based on what I had in my fridge/pantry and what she had leftover from a farmers market cooking demonstration. The result was a delicious, healthy summer pasta dish! We enjoyed the recipe below with veggie sausage (her) and turkey meatballs (me) but it would also be wonderful on its own or with chicken.
Fresh Vegetable Pasta
1 cup whole wheat pasta (we used rotelle but you can use whichever you prefer) - This amount is approximate as you may prefer a higher pasta to topping ratio or like me you like a little leftover pasta to enjoy later in the week.
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 white squash, chopped
3 artichoke hearts, chopped
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
15 kalamata olives, pitted
6 large basil leaves, chiffionade
1/3 cup fat free feta
garlic olive oil (We used Trader Joe's)
fresh ground sea salt
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. Saute garlic, zucchini, and white squash.
3. When pasta and vegetables are almost ready, add artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives and basil to the sauteed vegetables. Heat through.
4. Top pasta with vegetable mixture and sprinkle with fat free feta and drizzle with garlic olive oil.
5. Add a protein if desired.