Thursday, May 5, 2011

A little bit of This and a little bit of That....

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Today I feel like I should post something holiday appropriate but I didn't really plan that well. Back in February I posted a great recipe for Pulled Chicken Tacos that will be delightful today though not entirely Mexican. We have also enjoyed great tamales from Heirloom LA along with "homemade" sides that you might find to be a wonderful addition to today's menus.

Not sure if this is the "this" or the "that" but I came across a few sites this week that I found extremely interesting.

This site lists the top baby names for the past year and also includes a full database of names with search functionality. I am obsessed with names (babies not so much) so this is one of those pages I could play with for hours. What did I learn about my own name? The year I was born was the second most popular year for the name Gretchen with a rank of 198. That must be why it seems the highest percentage of my fellow Gretchens seem to be my age. In fact, there were two Gretchens in my kindergarten class. Another fun site for names that includes meanings, drawbacks (formally listed as "teasing nicknames"), etc. is BabyNamer.

When you order a sweet carbonated beverage do you order a pop, soda or a Coke? Okay, maybe this site doesn't break it down into regional vocabulary but it does discuss dialects throughout our country. It's a little difficult to maneuver but still interesting. I was a little disappointed to see that the "Cleveland" accent has yet to make the page but hopefully one of you will straighten that out.

Have a great day, drink lots of tequila, and tell me all of your crazy stories and or share your recipes for whatever delicious Mexican food you whip up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment