Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ultimate Eye Cream Search, Part 1

Recently the focus of this blog has been in the realm of cooking and entertaining. It is time we mix it up. What better way for this mad scientist to discover the ultimate eye cream than to try a whole mess of them out? I have been wearing eye cream for about 10 years - ever since a slightly younger friend of mine turned me on to it. I was surprised why someone of her age was so diligent about using eye cream - her response "Because I don't want to get wrinkles." I was sold.

This series to find the ultimate eye cream does not have a set number of parts. After trying a few, I will write about them. The series will end either when I find the best one, I get bored or possibly a combination of the two. Keep in mind that these are my observations on various eye creams and pending your own skin type and needs eye creams I don't think are particularly fabulous might be your dream come true. That being said, you may need to read between the lines a bit to determine which ones you like to try. Currently I have minimal fine lines around my eyes so I want to continue to fight off additional lines while minimizing the appearance from those I already have. Finding an eye cream that I can successfully wear under make up is key for me. I have a lot of samples of higher end creams so this quest will focus on primarily department store brands. This will make trying creams easier for you as these stores will likely give you a sample for your own at home trial. However, if anyone can give me a week's worth of any eye cream, I'm willing to give it a shot!

What They Say: Opti-mologist Eye Cream with Light Diffusers is a unique waterless eye cream with light diffusing crystals that reduces under-eye puffiness and treats all of the key eye area concerns.

My Review: This eye cream was awful. I used it once a few years ago when my eyes were particularly puffy from crying and it slid off my face and into my eyes which made them stick together. When trying it for the second time, I was able to still see out of my eyes but was still dissatisfied with the product. The texture of this cream was terrible and actually made my lines more noticeable once make up was applied. Looking at the website, I realize that I didn't warm the cream between my fingers before applying so I'm not sure if that would have made a difference. I was so disgusted by how terrible my under eye area looked that I threw the rest of the sample away.

What They Say: Rich and luxurious from the moment it touches the skin, fresh start helps diminish lines and wrinkles in the delicate eye area and protects against future damage. Perfect for daily use, it provides a smooth foundation for eye makeup, and safe to use for contact lens wearers.

My Review: I liked this eye cream but didn't love it. It was very moisturizing but still cracked when covered with concealer. My sample was rather small so I don't know what I would have seen with continued use. I would recommend this for someone in their 20's without wrinkles as a preventative measure.

What They Say: Resists and lifts wrinkles with high concentrations of potent antioxidants found in African red tea and vitamin C. This richly textured eye crème forms a protective layer that strengthens the skin’s elasticity with its blend of peptides and sodium hyaluronate.

My Review: This cream was preferred to the Fresh Start but still cracked when covered with concealer. I did like how the skin under my eyes looked when I used it but didn't put concealer. Unfortunately with my super pale/thin skin, concealer is a needed evil. I would caution about putting too much cream on as I rubbed my eye during a couple of wears and it seemed to crumble off. That is very undesirable.

I was also going to write about a Clinique product but realized that it is no longer made. Good thing because my review was not favorable.

I will continue to update once I have a few more eye creams to review. In the meantime, I would love to hear your feedback. Do you love or hate your current eye cream? Have you found the ultimate eye cream? Share your comments below - you do not have to be a registered user to comment though registered users can sign up to follow this blog. Either way, I look forward to your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment